Frequently Asked Questions

Logging in

I'm having problems logging in to the system, what should I do?
You should use your Brunel alphanumeric username (or your student number) and your normal Brunel network password to log into the system. Please note that BREO does not have its own login credentials, so you will need to ensure your Brunel network credentials are correct. If you are unsure of your network username or password, please contact Computing Support (

Completing your application

How do I begin my application?
Once logged in you will see your Work Area. Click the 'Create Project' button on the left hand side of the screen to commence your application. Click 'A1' to access the first set of questions.
I've reached the end of a page, how do I get to the next one?
You can move through the application form by clicking 'Next' or 'Previous' at the left of the page. If you'd like to move several pages at once, click 'Navigate' which takes you to the front page, where you can click on any section quickly.
I'm not sure how to complete a question, what should I do?
Each question has an Information ('i') icon at the top. Click this to see more detail about what the Research Ethics Committee are looking for. You can also download the Question-Specific Guidance which explains what is needed for each question. You can find this under the 'Help' tab. If you are still unsure, contact your supervisor or College Research Office (see 'Contact Information') for further guidance.
I want to log out and come back to it later, can I do this?
Yes. Click 'Save' to the left of the page, then log out. You can come back to your application by logging in at any time.
I want my supervisor to help with my form, how do I do this?
You can share your application with your supervisor or a co-researcher at any time. While in the application click 'Share' to the left of the page and type the person's email address into the box. You can choose how much access to give them, for example Read Only, Write, Submit etc.
One of the buttons is not working, what should I do?
If you are having problems of this nature it is likely to be due to the internet browser. The simplest solution may be to save your form and then log in using a different browser such as Google Chrome or Firefox. You can find Firefox by searching under the Start menu on all campus computers. If you continue to have difficulties, please contact and the technical team will assist you.
I am having problems uploading documents, what should I do?
If you are seeing a message which says 'Upload Failed', you can try saving your form, logging out and then logging back in using a different browser (e.g. Google Chrome or Firefox). Don't worry, your progress will be saved and you won't have to start again.
I need my supervisor's signature, but the system says they are not registered. What should I do?
If you are having trouble requesting your supervisor's signature, this probably means they have not previously logged into the system. You can either ask them to do so, or contact your College Research Office (see 'Contact Information') who will assist you.
How do I unlock my form to edit?
If you are yet to submit your application but you have requested your supervisors signature or you have signed your form: You can unlock the form by clicking the 'Unlock' tile on the left-hand side of the page (tile with the padlock icon). This will break the signatures, so you will need to sign the declaration at section J and request your supervisor's signature once you have made the necessary changes. If your application has been submitted to the Research Ethics Committee, you will not be able to make any further changes. If you wish to amend your form at this stage, you can contact your College Research Office via email. Contact details for the College Research Offices can be found under 'Help' > 'Contact Information'.

After submission

I've submitted my form, but I'd like to change it. What should I do?
If you have already submitted your form, you cannot amend it. However, if you would like to make changes or submit another form, you can contact your College Research Office (see 'Contact Information') or for advice.
My project has been reviewed and I have been asked to make changes before it can be approved. How do I do this?
You will receive an email with a letter from the Research Ethics Committee asking you to make changes to your application so it can be approved. To do this, log into your account and click on Notifications. Click the notification which says 'Changes to your application have been requested...etc.' A box will pop up - click the green button 'View Shared Form' which takes you into your application. You can then make the necessary changes and re-submit (note, if you are a student you will need to request your supervisor's signature again).
I've had my project approved, but I want to make changes. What should I do?
If you wish to make changes to an approved project, you will need to apply for an amendment. To do this, go to your Work Area, select the relevant project and click 'Create Sub-Form' on the left of the screen. Select 'Amendment Form' and then 'Create'. You can then make the necessary changes to the application and submit it for review (note if you are a student you will need to request your supervisor's signature before you can submit).